Monday, November 17, 2008

November Thanks

I think November must surely be my very favorite month of the year. I enjoy the cooler weather moving in after another of Florida’s long, hot, humid summers finally gives up. I like the fact that November means not breaking into a sweat first thing in the morning simply from walking out of my front door and to my car!

The change somehow energizes me, puts a bounce in my step, gives me a little get up and get ’em in my get-a-long! But even more than the change in the weather, I enjoy that Thanksgiving happens in November.

Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of the year for me. I guess that I like it so much because it is a little less commercialized than some of the other big holidays like Christmas, Easter, or even Halloween. It is as if the giant commercial machine didn’t have time to mess with Thanksgiving, because it had to get rolling on to Christmas if it was going to fully capitalize on the money making potential of December’s biggest holiday.

And, that’s just fine with me! Leave Thanksgiving alone!

I like that my memories of Thanksgivings past are filled with the warmth and love of family and good friends. Of days that overflowed with Mom’s good cooking, and laughter, and peace.

I like that Thanksgiving comes more towards the end of the month. It gives me plenty of time to think about what I am thankful for.

This year, like every year, I have much to be thankful for--even though it has been a very hard year. In fact, it has been one of the tougher years of my life. And the tough season hasn’t past yet. But it will pass. And I am so grateful, because through all that has happened, I have loved and I have been loved beyond measure!

So this month, my wish for all of you is that you might know the boundless love of you creator. And be forever thankful in every situation, trusting in Him, resting in His love for you.


"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing;
You have put off my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness,
To the end that my glory may sing praise to You and not be silent.
O LORD my God, I will give thanks to You forever."
--Psalm 30: 11-12 (NKJ)

No comments: