Sunday, September 6, 2009

It's Okay To Be Done


“I’m done!” Elania announced to my wife, Nan, with a sigh.

Nan was rushing through the airport, several years ago, with her two grandchildren trying hard not to miss the connecting flight that would bring them back to Florida. With her baby grandson, Shane, in her arms, along with the all the paraphernalia that comes with traveling with a baby, she had been trying to encourage her three year old granddaughter to walk faster, when Elania decided she was too tired to go on.

And so, she told her “Nana” she was “done.”

“No, baby, you can’t be ‘done!’” Nan cried, more than a little panicked at the fact that Elania had just stopped right where she was. “Just a little further!”

After some pleading, Nan managed to convince her to push through and they made the flight.

During the year prior to coming to stay with us in Florida for a short time, Elania had proved herself to be quite a little fighter. She had been diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. After surgery, chemotherapy and radiation treatments and a second surgery, things looked good for a complete recovery.

Life went on for the next several years, but then the cancer returned. More surgery, more chemotherapy, and surgery yet again, are the events that have marked her life over the past couple of years.

While recovering from the most recent surgery, and as she was about to begin yet another round of chemotherapy and radiation, she contracted an infection that left her too weak to proceed with the treatment. It was also discovered that small piece of the tumor that they not been able to remove during the last surgery, had grown aggressively.

There was nothing left to do, but leave her in God’s hands.

Yesterday, as she lay in her hospital bed, she told her dad that she hoped her mom would hurry up and get there because she was really tired. She was tried of fighting, and she wanted to go home.

When I heard what she had said, I knew, in my heart, she was saying, “I’m done.”

Part of me wanted to cry out, “No, baby, you can’t be done!”

But how can you say that to a child that has had to go through all that she has been through in the almost nine years of her short life. Hasn’t she earned the right to just be done?

Her mom did get there. Nan also got there and they spent last night and this morning singing songs to her, sharing hugs, kisses, and smiles and Elania even laughed.

Nan told her, "Elania, you’re so strong!"

Elania nodded her head in agreement and then flexed her muscles for Nan.

Nan said, “You make me strong.“

Then late this morning, she was done, and she went home to heaven.

While our hearts are torn and broken, we rejoice that she is free, and safely home at last.

“And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.” Revelations 21:4 (NKJ)

Elania Marie Canady, September 19, 2000 - September 6, 2009

22 comments:

Gary said...

I cannot begin to understand how you feel right now. I am so sorry for this loss to your family. But thank you for sharing these words. They go far toward lifting up the One we all look forward to seeing, face to face...one day. May God's peace surround you.

Ken McArthur said...

Robert and Nan,

The impact of one life isn't measured in years, but in those small ways that we make a difference to others.

I know that Elania made a huge impact in your lives and so many others in her alomost 9 years on this earth.

It is those small things that make life spread and when they are given by a child, they have even more impact on those of us who live so much longer.

God bless you and your family and spread the impact that Elania had on you for generations to come.

Love,

Ken

Ken McArthur

Robyn McMaster, PhD said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. I send hugs across the miles.

Curly said...

What a beautiful girl. Your family is in my prayers.

Unknown said...

My heart goes to you and yours.
God bless you
Love Lucia

Millie Neal said...

Dear Robert and Nan,

What a hard loss! What a gift God gave when he gave Elania! Thank you for sharing Elania with us. We carry you and all the family in our hearts and pray that the great Comforter will strengthen you in all hope and peace.

Love,
Millie Neal

jeffrey1960 said...

Robert and Nan,

Know that you are in my prayers, I cant imagine what you are feeling right now, but I also know it is such a blessing to know that there is no more pain and no more struggles for your beautiful Grandaughter.

She is in the ultimate arms of love right now.


God bless you both and our prayers and thoughts will be with you.

Jeff Wellman

Dixie Brown said...

Robert:

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Know that her precious soul is at peace, pain free and being caressed by loving arms.

You and your family are in my prayers.

Unknown said...

My dear brother and sister in law...your beautiful words bring me such comfort. The wisdom and love of a child is so dear, and Elania was exceptionally blessed with unconditional love for those whose lives she touched. Would that we all could make such a huge impact in so short a time. My prayers are with you and the whole family of Elania! Love, Jean and Ed

Janet said...

Robert and Nan,
God understands your heartache and sorrow. He'll be by your side and hold your hand. May His peace surround you and Elania's family.

Ricci Neer said...

How beautiful that you could remember these details and share them with us. Because of your writings, you are able to touch even complete strangers with her life. Thank you.

one_retiree said...

May God bless all who have a hole in their lives from Elania's passing.

Phil Cullum

Felicia Slattery said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful granddaughter's story with the world. I am so sorry for your family's very sad loss. I'm sure it meant a lot to your Elania to be surrounded in love in her final moments.

Stories and memories of her will keep her alive in your hearts forever.

I am praying for you.
Felicia Slattery
(Business Friend of Ken's)

how to make money said...

The hardest thing I ever had to do as a pastor was to conduct services for children who had left to be with Jesus.It is very difficult to say things unless they are said with tears of compassion in our heart and eyes.We can say all sorts of formed platitudes but the reality there is a hole in your heart which will be very difficult to fill in.It will take time but it is painful.To say then I will pray for you seems trite unless I really will spend the time.I promise I will as God helps me pray for the Spirit of God to carry you through the coming month

Tanna said...

What a beautiful angel has joined your other loved ones watching over you from the realms of heaven! While your loss is very real, so is the wellspring of blessings that Elania that you were so kind to share with us! Peace and comfort to you.

KayCeez said...

Robert and Nan,

"It is better to have loved, and lost, then to not have loved at all..." so said someone some time ago.

I'm sure without a doubt that Elania has been a blessing to both you her parents, as well as to extended family - grandparents aunts uncles friends... her strength to the very end has also served to strengthen you and many others who know of what Elania has gone through.

Reading the part where Elania said "I'm done" really made my heart almost skip a beat. I too have a daughter, she's 14, and I would be devastated if I had to experience what you both have gone through...

Nevertheless, as the Good Book reminds us, "... all things work together for good, to those who love Him, and to those who are made according to His purpose."

It's tough understanding His ways and why we have to go through some experiences. But becos his ways are beyond us, at least till we meet Him, we know there is a divine reason for all experiences. What that is, only you can know in your heart...

I pray that you will continually have renewed strength, and also continually be reminded that Elania is now at peace with the One who first loved us.

Because He cares, He WILL continue to care, always!

Harold

Jonathan Blain said...

My heart goes out to you. A beautiful girl a lovely family, you don't deserve this.

Some good friends of ours lost their daughter in almost identical circumstances a few years aso, she was 10 and called Francesca.

I believe love is everlasting, you will never forget, but the pain will reduce over time. God Bless You.

chloeev said...

To Elania's Family,

You have been so Blessed to have had this Special Angel in your lives for her short visit with us.

I know she has left a large impact for such a small girl because her Spirit is still touching all of us today through your words.

Her spirit continues on through you and your Family. I believe there a few people who will read your words and understand more about their own Blessings.

Thank you so much for sharing with us. Elainia in her few short years has made a difference in so many ways.

Blessings and Peace to You and Yours,
Mary

Carmen Pera said...

Robert and Nan

Losing a child must surely be the most painful experience for a parent and I truly feel for you.

I also feel happy for you that you were blessed to have had Elainia in your lives, and that she too was blessed to have had the right parents for her few short years.

A joint gift ...

God Bless

AnneMarie

Unknown said...

Several years ago, my family went through something similar that left us with both inspiration and also a feeling of loss. Still, I know that He who sits on the throne is in charge of all that takes place and I trust Him. It's not easy, however I see that you also find peace in scriptures, so I will pray that you continue to find peace at every hour. In our case, a very small baby taught us to laugh more, to share more and to dream more. Thank you for sharing as well.


Richard Bailey

Richard Smith said...

Hi Robert and Nan,

I just saw this note via Kens blog today. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your little angel.

Even her name sounds like that of an Angel!!!

I sit here now with my two daughters who are 6 and 9 and we really pass on our love and best wishes.

All the best

Richard, Dominika, Zosia and Maya

Jill Koenig said...

I am at a loss for words so I will pray for you during this time.

Jill