Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Deadly Weapon

A little over forty years have passed since the time I shot my brother, John, but that event is etched forever in my memory. I was just a kid, probably nine or ten years old at the time. I had been given a bow and arrow set for a birthday, or perhaps, as a Christmas gift. It was a simple wooden bow and the arrows were metal-tipped target arrows.

I can still remember stringing the bow using my legs to hold one end of the bow and bending the bow enough to slip the loop at the end of the string over the other end. It wasn’t hard to do if you knew the technique. And I was quite skilled at it.

I also remember the sensation of drawing an arrow along the bow and releasing it to fly, especially when the bow string contacted the tender meat of the inside of my forearm. My arm would become bright red after repeated twanging from the bow string. Still, I loved shooting arrows.

I especially liked shooting them nearly straight into the air. On more than one occasion I would lose sight of an arrow and hold my breath until I heard it come down, praying all the while that it wouldn’t come down on top of me! One reason I liked shooting arrows in the air was that there was less chance of losing an arrow that way. After all, though it was a simple bow, it could shoot an arrow quite a distance--at least as far as a boy my age was concerned. I only had two or three arrows and they would have been expensive to replace given my “small change” allowance.

The only thing I can remember trying to kill with my bow were prairie dogs--rabbit-sized rodents which were common enough creatures in Southwestern Colorado. I never did. I never even hit one. In fact, I was always thankful when I missed. Partly because I don’t think I really wanted to kill anything, and mostly because I was afraid I would lose my arrow if I hit one and they managed to retreat into their burrow, dragging my arrow with them.

I’m quite sure that I was well instructed in bow safety by my parents (though I don’t remember it), because I knew not to ever allow a person to be standing in front of me when I shot it, even if they weren’t in the particular direction that I was shooting. And I would only string the bow when I was using it and was well aware that it was an outside toy.

That brings us to that fateful day. My brother John and I were playing together as we always did, only this day we were playing with my “outside toy” inside. Cowboys and Indians was the game and as you have already figured out, I’m sure, I was the Indian.

My first error in judgment was that I had strung the bow inside the house. The second was that I had slipped the nock of an arrow unto the string. The third was that I had pointed the arrow at someone in front of me. The fourth was that I had pulled the arrow-loaded string back. And the fifth….

Accidents happen, but this was not an accident. No, I shot my brother on purpose.

Now, that being said, I never intended to kill him or even hurt him in any way for that matter. I only did it to bring a little realism to our game. I had only pulled the string back ever so slightly and didn’t halfway expect the arrow to reach him at all. It did, though.

It was a glancing blow to the chin. A slight cut. A little blood. And a healthy scream from John, probably more out of surprise than hurt. You’d have thought the arrow had gone completely through him to hear him carry on. I dropped the bow and immediately ran to his aid. (Well, actually, it was my intent to try to shut him up and give myself a chance to do some damage control before Mom and Dad arrived on the scene to investigate.) I pleaded with him not to cry, that it was just a scratch, that he was fine, but he wasn’t hearing any of it.

Dad rushed into the room and I just as quickly backed away. He took a look at the injury, looked around the room and easily surmised what had transpired. Next he looked at me, eye to eye, for several seconds, and without a saying a single word, he let me know how disappointed he was with me. He never spoke to me about it, he didn‘t have to. The magnitude of what I had done was crystal clear to me. The thoughts of how much worse my brother’s injury could have been flooded my mind and emotions.

I braced myself for punishment that never came. My father bent over picked up the bow and the arrows and placed them on his work bench. He didn’t say a word. He didn’t say that I couldn’t ever play with them again. He didn’t say I was on restrictions for a month. He didn’t spank me. Nothing.

But the bow and arrows sat there on his work bench for a very long time before I decided that it was okay to use them again. I didn’t ask permission. Somehow, there was an understanding that when I felt that I had punished myself enough, I would know that it would be acceptable to retake possession of them.

I am so thankful that the injuries as a result of my carelessness weren’t more life changing for my brother John--though John might tell you he has been “terribly emotionally scarred by the failed attempt on his life by his own brother.” But seriously, in many cases things like this turn out much worse.

I am also thankful for the restraint and wisdom that Dad showed. He knew that if he spoke to me that it would be in anger and he didn‘t want to lose control. He didn’t feel it was necessary to tell me every little thing I had done wrong that day, though I'm sure he had quite a list. He knew that I knew already, and left me to me to deal with it. And I did, and in doing so learned many lessons that I still carry with me to this day.

7 comments:

Ken McArthur said...

Dear Robert,

So now I know why my brothers constantly conspire to pin an alleged attempted hanging of a brother on me!

It must be false memories triggered by guilt connected with this this vicious assault with a deadly weapon.

Not to worry though. I'm sure I did things much that were much worse.

Luckily I've blocked them all out and transferred my memories to you!

Thanks again for your insights!

Love,

Your innocent brother Ken

John T. McArthur said...

Dear Robert,

Fortunately my minor scar was physical, not emotional. I could not have asked for a better friend growing up than you. And I could not ask for a better friend now.

Love,

John

Gary said...

Great lesson for all dads!

Vivian said...

Hi, Bob,

Gary passed this link to me. Is your dad still living and would he mind me asking a few questions about how he chose to respond so wisely? Seriously, I don't think this is how most parents would handle this.

Vivian

Robert Alan McArthur said...

Yes, Vivian, Dad is alive and well. He is now 85 and living in Colorado with my mom. As to his wisdom, he had a good example in his father who, as I understand it, was careful not to punish his children in anger. I don't want to paint a distorted picture of my Dad, either. He didn't always make the right decisions as a father, but he did try his best. Sometimes God allows us to do things that are beyond our own wisdom out of His love for all involved. God's hand was certainly at work in this situation. Thanks, for your comments. --Robert

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was younger ( prob. about the age of 11 and at that time my family and I lived in Cincinnati, Ohio) we were celebrating Thanksgiving as a Church at the local High school. Dinner was over and people milled about, chatting with friends about their Thanksgiving weekend plans. I remember walking out of the cafeteria to see what the Hirsch boys were up to. Growing up and living in Ohio....my family had befriended the Hirsch family and the Hirsch Boys, Jeff and John were my dearest buddies ( being the strong willed tomboy that I was). I found the Hirsch and some other youths my age chilling in the long hallway leading to the cafeteria, looking at the trophies and plaques that lined the walls.

I was charged with coming up with something fun to do to entertain us "kids" until the night was over. It was then that at the end of the hallway I spotted it. I shiny black payphone nestled in a niche next to a utility closet. Jeff followed my gaze, and seeing the estranged glint in my eye, whispered: "I wonder if it works; if its on". Grinning back at him, I started down the hallway.

Upon reaching the payphone, my hands grasped the handle of the phone and freed it from its perch. I nice clear dial tone rang in my ears. "It works", I replied to the small gathering clustered behind me. From somewhere amongst there depths of the crowd I heard someone say: " I DARE you to call 911 and then hang up".

I turned and met the gaze of a boy, who I can't remember the name today....but I remember thinking: "This kid was nuts!" Having grown up a PK and having known the story of the Boy who Cried Wolf, there was no way I was going to do something so stupid. Yet my throat tightened when the boy then accused me of being a goodie-to-shoes; a chicken; a nice, little, obedient pastor's kid. All this coming from some stupid boy who was probably 3 years younger than me. Eyes popped open as kids of all ages stared at me. I wasn't going to be made a fool of, especially not from stupid kid younger than me. Jeff whispered a warning, but I wasn't listening. I swallowed and with shaking fingers took up the phones and dialed 9-1-1. I was about to hang up the phone and shout my triumph to my peers when a voice sounded from the depths. "911...what is your Emergency?" Panicking, I hung up the phone. "I....I...d..i..d....it....a lady answered but I did it." Slightly proud of myself, but at the same time condescending myself in my mind, I turned and headed back to the cafeteria.

10 minutes later, everyone was gathered in the cafeteria eating desert when lights flashed in the windows. Out of the corner of my eye I saw my dad talking to a cop that had just entered the building. "Sir, we received a call to 911 from this location and I was just checking to make sure everything is ok." My dad assured him that everything was order and he had no idea who would have placed the call. My started heart pounding, when my dad called me over and asked me if I knew anything about this prank phone call made to 911. "No, I don't." I remember staring at my dad for what seemed like forever, wondering if he could see that guilt in my eyes.....if there was some sign attached to my forehead screaming: I DID IT! My dad turned to the cop and apologized and said that he would have a talk with the kid that made the call, and the police left.

My dad said nothing to me the rest of night but I could remember that look he gave me.....if he knew my guilt....if he knew that his "perfect" daughter had sinned. I don't quite remember how exactly my dad knew that night that I was the one that had made the call, maybe one of the kids had "fessed" up and had told on me.....or maybe it was simply that fact that he was my father and as all father's know....kids tell lies. He knew me all to well. All I can say was that in the end, the look that my dad gave me that night...the disappointment and disapproval etched in his gaze.....that he knew I was guilty.......made me feel so bad. That was punishment enough.

Robert Alan McArthur said...

Please check out the response to my post that my son wrote on his blog, "Working It Out." You can find a link to his blog in the right column of the main page of my blog.