Friday, September 26, 2008

Is Anyone Listening?

Has anyone else noticed that there is a lot going on in our country, as well as in the world today? (I know, I know, “Just a slight understatement there, Robert!”) There is the economic crisis, the political turmoil, the threats of terrorism, and on and on it goes. There is so much yet to be resolved. And it seems at times, there is so little progress towards resolution.

I find myself very challenged by all of this. The challenge for me is how to stay informed (as a good citizen should be) without becoming overwhelmed by all of it. And the even bigger challenge for me is how to sort through all the noise that people are making on all sides of the issues, so I can find what I believe to be the paths that we should take to try to solve our problems, and then find a way to support those directions.

So I just wanted to share an observation. In watching opposing sides on issues “discuss” their viewpoints, I am struck by how little listening is going on. All too often, they seem to spend all of their time talking over each other, in ever increasing volume levels, with ever increasing anger, until no one can pick out much of anything from what is being said.

We all have been guilty of not listening. I’m reminded of how many times each day that instead of really listening to what someone is saying, I am thinking about what I am going to say next. As a result, I set myself up to miss out on so much by not focusing on what is being said by others.

One thing that I discovered when I was growing up came out of the fact that I was shy and not willing to speak out much in my classes in school. I would sit and listen to all that was being said in discussions about a particular topic. Time and again I would realize something that others were missing simply because they were so focussed on what they were saying, that they forgot to listen to each other. All I did was piece together parts of what was being said and then muster up the courage to speak. As a result, I would look a whole lot more intelligent than I really was.

So this is what I want to share with you. As I have been listening to those debating their opposing viewpoints, I have been reminded again and again where the Bible gives us the following simple instruction that I think would benefit us all:

"So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God." James 1:19-20 (NKJ)

My wish for each of you this day is that you might have a day full of listening and peace.

No comments: