Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Why Can't People Just Treat Me Right?

Have you ever thought, "I sure wish that person hadn't treated me that way!"? If you work with the public you probably feel like that a lot of times! I know that I do.

So, I was thinking about how I would like to be treated by others, and decided that I would write down a few of those thoughts and share them with you (in no particular order).


  • I would like people to be kind and friendly, and invest a little of their time to show some interest in me.


  • I would like people to be patient with me. I would like them to take the time to try to see my heart, because sometimes I say things that don't come out just right, or I do things before really thinking them through and I make a mess of it all.

  • I would like them to recognize the good in me and assume that the areas that aren't so good are areas God already knows about . . . and that He is working on them with me.

  • I would like for them to be helpful and supportive of me. I would like them to believe in my potential and encourage me to excel. I would like them to be gentle when correcting me and genuine in their compliments to me.

  • I would like them to listen to me when I am trying to tell them something that is important to me.

  • Mostly I just want to be sincerely loved and appreciated on a regular basis.


Now, no doubt if you were to make your own list, many of the things that I put on my list would show up on your list as well. But there would just as likely be things on your list that I might not have considered, so I would encourage you to make your own list.

Now, after you've made your list you could have copies made and give them out to everyone that you know or meet, and hope they start doing you right!

But that's not really how it works, is it? No, the list is for you. It's to remind you of what God expects from you when it comes to how you treat others.

You all know the golden rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." But how often do we really think about how big that assignment really is. To ask yourself in every moment of your dealings with someone else, "How would I want to be treated if our positions were reversed?"

What a different world we would live in if everyone followed the "rule!" But, while we can't make others follow it, we can impact our world by obeying God's command for ourselves.

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." --Matthew 7:12 (NKJ)

Oh, and one other important thing to remember: the commandment is about doing . . . not about not doing, so it requires action on your part. You can't just "not do" and fulfill this commandment!

No comments: