Sunday, July 20, 2008

Just Like a Child



The other day, my wife and I were talking about the fact that she has many childlike qualities. The question raised by Nan was whether that was a good thing or a not-so-good thing. So it got me thinking about the qualities that she has which are childlike and whether they serve her well. It didn‘t take long to decide that, without a doubt, they are a big part of what makes her a blessing to so many others.



After spending most of the day, yesterday, around my grandson, Jake, and thinking about my other grandkids and some of their qualities, I jotted down just a few of those qualities that I think all of us should have. So here they are for your consideration.



Enthusiasm: Ever notice how most children rarely just say, “Hello,” when a person they know enters the room. I can still remember how my granddaughter, Elania, used to greet me when I would come home from work with an excited, “Grandpa, Grandpa, Grandpa!” as she launched herself into my arms.



Wonder and Amazement: At three and a half, Jake is so aware of and interested in the world around him, like when he spotted an unusual looking bug on the edge of the swimming pool and paused for a closer look, a quick inventory of its parts, and a little poke to see if it was still alive.



Imagination and Creativity: Jake is into pirates big time right now, so as he was standing on the edge of the swimming pool he said, “Grandpa, you be the ship and I’ll be a cannon . . . wait . . . no, my head will be the cannon ball and my body will be the cannon.” With that he abruptly dove into the water towards me head . . . uh . . . I mean, cannonball first!



Energy and Life: I think most all of my grandkids have just one speed, GO! They have an amazing ability to go full speed through their day and then suddenly shutdown, unable to go another step. I know my grandsons Gydeon and Justin got a double dose of energy that their mom only wishes she could tap into!



Curiosity: It’s not enough for my grandsons to know that something works, they seem driven to know how. Lots of dismantled toys, whenever they are around.



Innocence and Faith: This is a fragile one. And it doesn’t take much to change this in a child, and that is a real shame. I remember this quality in my grandson Shane, and have seen it in my newest grandson, Jack, as well. I can only believe it must be there in my granddaughter, Heaven, the only grandkid that I’ve yet to meet.



Anyway, I think we miss out of a lot of joy from feeling like we have to be so adult all of the time. And while there is a big difference between just having some fun and being foolish, we shouldn’t ever miss the chance to embrace our lives with enthusiasm, wonder, amazement, imagination, creativity, energy, life, curiosity, innocence, and faith.



(What are your thoughts? Please share them, so others can be blessed.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember still the joy of life I experienced after being sick for a couple of days as a child and running and jumping for joy when I could finally go outside. I can even remember the exact spot when I was filled with joy.

I remember the joy of anticipation when we were expecting a visit from my Grandmama and Aunt Alda. I wanted to be out front when they arrived, and was very impatient when I had to go out and do my chores(milk the cow) afraid I would miss their arrival. Their arrival was an experience of intense joy, a childhood quality that I value even now at age 85.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes..in fact most times, I just act on the feelings that come inside of me. I don't do it and mean to offend anyone. I just feel that "good" feelings are missed so much, if we hold back.

I lost my "Nana" necklace at our pool. I was so sad. Robert thought to call the Business Office to see if anyone had turned it in. I, "Doubting Thomas," thought, "With signs on street corners advertising people that buy gold, I doubt I'll see it again." But, God knows the deep things in our hearts. (To have things is not bad. We can have things...they just should never have us.) Well, a very kind lady found it and I get it back tomorrow!

Joy, gratefulness, wonder and thankfulness are too wonderful to hold inside. I stopped right where I was, when Robert called me with the news. I said, "Wait! I have to do the happy dance!" I feel if we don't celebrate what seems to be the small things, we may begin to miss the big blessings. I want to be an adult, but I want to have a tender heart, a receptive heart, so that when God moves for me...I am quick to say, "Thank you Daddy!" Unashamed and sincere, as I have seen my children give thanks to me. Who knows, someone around you may need to see a good old "Joy Jig!"

Michael McArthur said...

You make a great point here, Dad.

There is a lot we can learn from a child.

Like what life is supposed to be about. And appreciating it for just that.