Saturday, July 26, 2008

Time to play

I finally got around to watching the movie, "We Are Marshall", this past week. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the film, it is a telling of a true event which happened in the early 70’s in West Virginia. In a tragic plane crash, virtually all of Marshall University’s Football Team was lost. The movie is about the rebuilding of the football team and the healing of the school and the town. It is a very moving film and has many thought provoking aspects.

I was particularly interested in a one theme in the film as the coach of the new team realizes that winning isn’t always everything, that it doesn’t even necessarily matter how you play the game, but rather just that you do play and that you do it with your whole heart.

We all face things in life that we don’t want to face and it is easy for us to come up with excuses for not facing up to those things. Part of trusting God is just to do the things that we know to do with our whole heart and leave the results up to Him.

So, maybe God is telling you to do something.

So, maybe you don’t succeed.

So, maybe you didn’t do everything just the way you should have.

What really matters is that you do it from your heart.

So, to borrow a line from the movie--


“It’s game day. Time to play till the whistle blows!”

1 comment:

John T. McArthur said...

"Until the whistle blows." I love that. I was never a huge sports fan, but lately have truly enjoyed watching my son, Max, play soccer. I especially enjoy it, when his team is behind, but they keep playing hard, and they come from behind and win. I hope after my own whistle blows, he will still have my voice whispering in his ear saying, "Never give up."